Saturday, January 28, 2012

Saturday Snapshot - From Flood to Drought

If you follow my book blog, Daisy's Book Journal, you may have seen some posts regarding the flood we had for a lot of last year. Weather-wise, this past year has been very different. Precipitation-wise, we had a pretty dry summer, a very dry fall, while winter has been pleasant (almost) with its above normal temps and well below normal snowfall. The coming spring is still a big determining factor with regards to flooding, but the province is already talking about a moderate "drought". From one extreme to the other! I hope that prediction holds, but hopefully it won't be too severe. A summer where we can cut the grass, walk around the yard, and traverse the driveway without hip waders, will be most welcome.

Anyway, here's a wintery shot of my backyard. On the left-hand side, you can still see the waterline on the trees.   Normally, we'd have a lot more snow...at least another foot or two.  It really has been a terrific winter.



















Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Alyce of At Home With Books. To participate – post a picture that you've taken (or one taken by a friend, or a family member) then add your link on Alyce’s site using Mr. Linky.

12 comments:

  1. The temperature is up and down like a yoyo here in Ontario too. It's all fine by me as long as there's no flooding - ugh, that sounds terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has definitely been a mild winter for most folks it seems. Still a little too wintery for me here in Central Texas. We'd love some of your rain, so you can just send it right on down. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. There definitely hasn't been a lot of snow so far, but we had blizzard conditions on Sunday, pouring rain and thunder on Monday. Very weird.

    That's a terrific picture - I love how much room you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had a mild winter. This looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing to think of the water being that high on the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather is without doubt going through some crazy period! How scary to have the water so high in your backyard. I hope your home wasn't flooded as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree to the weird winter weather. We had so much rain this week that some leaked into the basement. We got it all wiped up but it still smells a little damp. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the line on the trees, cool

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely! We haven't had any snow this year, but that's fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember your flood photos from last year. What a mess. Hope you stay drier this year.

    This winter has been perfect. Just enough snow to bring a little moisture but moderate temperatures so we are not all frozen solid for weeks at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It certainly seems mixed up weather recently. North America is having a mild winter, and we in Australia are having the mildest summer I think I remember. It's more like autumn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!